WARNING: THERE ARE SOME GRAPHIC IMAGES IN THIS ARTICLE THAT MAY BE UNSUITABLE FOR ALL READERS, PLEASE VIEW AT THE READER’S DISCRETION
ANIMAL TESTING IS UNRELIABLE
- 95% of drugs fail in human trials despite results that are supposed to guarantee
- Utilizing dogs, rats, mice and rabbits to test drugs is unclear if it’s safe for humans because it provides little statistically useful insight
- Out of 93 dangerous drug side effects, only 19% could’ve been predicted by animal tests
- Exploiting mice and rats to test the safety of drugs in humans is accurate only 43% of the time
ANIMAL TESTING IS WASTEFUL
- Despite the use of over 115 million animals in experiments globally each year, on average only 25new medicines are approved annually by the the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (USFDA). Many of these are also only for rare diseases.
- The US drug industry invests $50 billion per year in research, but the approval rate of new drugs is the same as it was 50 years ago.
- Only 6% of 4,300 international companies involved in drug development have registered a new drug with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration since 1950.
- Even those drugs that are approved are not universally effective due to individual reactions – the top ten highest-grossing drugs in the United States only help between 1 in 4 and 1 in 25 people who take them
- Of over 1,000 potential stroke treatments that had been “successful” in animal tests, only approximately 10% carried on to human trials. None ended up working sufficiently for humans.
- A study of 101 high impact basic science discoveries based on animal experiments found that only 5% resulted in approved treatments within 20 years.
ANIMAL TESTING IS DANGEROUS
- Vioxx, a drug used to treat arthritis, was found to be safe when tested in monkeys (and five other animal species) but has been estimated to have caused around 320,000 heart attacks and strokes and 140,000 deaths worldwide.
- Human volunteers testing a new monoclonal antibody treatment (TGN1412) at Northwick Park Hospital, the UK in 2006 suffered a severe allergic reaction and nearly died. Testing on monkeys at 500 times the dose given to the volunteers totally failed to predict the dangerous side effects.
- A clinical trial of Hepatitis B drug fialuridine had to be stopped because it caused severe liver damage in seven patients, five of whom died. It had been tested on animals first.
- Only one-third of substances known to cause cancer in humans have been shown to cause cancer in animals.
ANIMALS ARE DIFFERENT FROM HUMANS
- Animals don’t nearly contract as many of the diseases humans do, such as Parkinson’s disease, major types of heart disease, many types of cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, HIV or schizophrenia.
- An analysis of over 100 mouse cell types found that only 50% of the DNA responsible for regulating genes in mice could be matched with human DNA.
- The most commonly used species of monkey to test drug safety (Cynomolgus macaque monkeys) are resistant to doses of paracetamol (acetaminophen) that would be lethal in humans.
All information provided was obtained by the Cruelty-Free International Organization
RESULTS OF ANIMAL TESTING
ANIMAL TESTING IN COSMETICS
In a huge victory for animals, the European Union (EU), Israel, and India have banned the sale of any cosmetics or cosmetics ingredients that have previously been tested on animals. These marketing bans are a huge aid in ending animal testing and mean that companies all around the world will have to abandon animal testing, for cosmetics they intend on selling in these huge markets. The bans follow an aggressive campaign from PETA, its international partners, and members and supporters that conducted protests, phone calls, and tens of thousands of e-mails. Animal testing in cosmetics is a REAL thing and a REALproblem, a list below is provided on the companies that utilize animal testing. It is my request that you PLEASE stop using their products and defund them. We share our planet with millions of other species, there is NOT a free passage to use and abuse our fellow inhabitants.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Boycott companies that test their products. A list of companies that test their products is provided below. Support the companies that FIGHT AGAINST animal testing and absolutely refuse to use animal testing for their products. Big artists like Sia have taken a stance against animal abuse and animal testing! Support them, their foundations, and their partner organizations to help fight against animal abuse AND testing, to save HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of animals, worldwide.
COMPANIES THAT TEST THEIR PRODUCTS ON ANIMALS
- Bobbi Brown
- Estée Lauder
- Head & Shoulders
- M.A.C. Cosmetics
- Mary Kay
- Clean & Clear
- Johnson & Johnson
- Old Spice
- St. Ives
- Arm & Hammer